Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March 15 Ultrasound


We decided to take Bryson to the ultrasound.  I didn’t tell him until the morning of the ultrasound.  I woke him up and told him he would get to go to the doctor with me today and see the baby.  He was excited.  He hugged me and said…oh, thank you mommy.  Our appointment was at 9:00.  At first the baby was not cooperating very well.  The baby was keeping the legs closed.  The ultrasound tech even shook my belly a few times trying to get the baby to spread those legs.  Eventually the tech got a good view and told us it was a girl, but we already knew thatJ.  During the ultrasound, the baby opened her mouth a few times.  It was precious.  We also got a cute picture of her feet.  We got to listen to the heart beat.  She had a heart rate of 167.  The front view of the face was not very pretty.  She doesn’t have much fat around her face at this stage in the pregnancy, so she looked alienish.  The ultrasound tech told us she weighed 9 ounces based on her measurements.  Her measurements were on the small side.  Based on those measurements, our due date was calculating to be August 12th.  But I think she’s just going to be on the small side, like Bryson was.  Speaking of Bryson, about 3 minutes into the ultrasound, he was ready to go.  He kept asking where papa was.  Papa was going to pick him up after the ultrasound and take him to school.  He was so worried about being late for school.  After the ultrasound, we met with my doctor.  He said everything looked good.  He said there was a light spot on the left ventricle.  He called it an echo….something.  He was speaking way too fast to comprehend anything.  We asked him questions about it, but I never felt like I fully understood what it was.  He told us it was not a heart defect.  He told us it was not a hole in the heart.  It was not a heart murmur.  He said that he sees about one every month, and they usually they go away before birth.  So, not feeling like I understood a word he said, I did some googling after my appointment.  I googled light spot on left ventricle on ultrasound and found lots of information.  The word he said that I couldn’t remember…..echogenic focus.  It is a calcium deposit.  Well, come to find out, this is a soft marker for Down Syndrome, which the doctor never mentioned.  Of course I became overwhelmed with fear.  I continued to read and learned that there are many babies born with echogenic focus, but do not have Down Syndrome.  But just the slight chance of her having Down Syndrome scared me.  I felt like I was becoming a nervous wreck.  Then, God brought a verse to my mind.  For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.  2 Timothy 1:7.  After repeating this verse several times, my fear subsided.  I decided that it’s in God’s hands.  I will love her the same with or without Down Syndrome.  And that my God will never give us something that we can’t handle.       

No comments:

Post a Comment